The Town of The Pas levies taxes in order to provide services to the community. The Town collects taxes on behalf of provincial schools and also on behalf of Kelsey School Division.
Tax notices are sent out in June/July of each year and are due August 31st in each year. Taxes paid in August cover a period from January to December of that year.
There is a 1.25% per month penalty added to taxes that are not paid by August 31st.
Town of The Pas Residential Mill Rate Comparison
|General Municipal Levy||32.94||31.70||29.96||29.96|
|Local Improvement Levy||3.31||3.31||3.24||3.24|
|Total Municipal Levies||36.25||35.01||33.20||33.20|
|Kelsey Local No, 745||17.30||17.54||17.33||17.34|
|Total Mill Rate||53.55||52.55||50.53||50.54|
|Provincial School Tax||9.77||9.77||10.50||10.50|
|Commercial Mill Rate Comparisons||63.32||62.32||61.03||61.04|
– 1 Mill = 1/1000th of a dollar
– 1 Mill increase raises $144,930 in revenue
How property taxes are calculated
- property taxes are calculated by multiplying the portioned assessed property value by the mill rate
- the mill rate is the tax rate; 1 mill = 1 tenth of 1 cent, or $1 per thousand dollars of assessed property value
- assessed property value is the market value of property determined by the Provincial Assessment Branch based on prevailing local real estate market conditions
- portioned assessment value is then determined by multiplying the assessed value by a rate of 45% for residential property and 65% for commercial property
Property tax calculation – 2018(using example of $200,000 assessed value)
Residential: (assessed value $200,000)/1,000 x 45% x 52.55=$4,729.50
Commercial: (assessed value $200,000)/1000 x 65% x 62.32 = $8101.60